Instructions for an Oil Change on a Suzuki GZ250
- 1). Start the motorcycle and let the engine idle for five minutes, allowing the oil to warm up and expand. Stop the motor after the oil has warmed and park the motorcycle on its kick stand.
- 2). Locate the oil-drain plug, centered on the underside of the motor behind the kick stand. Place an oil pan beneath the drain plug. Using a 17 mm socket, remove the drain plug and allow the oil to empty from the motor. Lift the motorcycle upright to completely drain the oil from the motor. Wipe the tip of the drain plug with a clean towel before re-inserting the plug into the motor. Screw the drain plug onto the motor by hand until it is seated against the motor and tighten an additional half-turn with a socket wrench.
- 3). Locate the round oil-filter cover on the right side of the motor, identified by three acorn nuts around the edge of the cover. Push against the oil-filter cover as you remove the acorn nuts with a 10 mm socket. Slowly pull the cover away from the motor. A small amount of oil may leak from the cover; wipe it away with a clean towel. Pull the filter spring and oil-filter element out of the motor.
- 4). Insert the open end of the new oil-filter element into the motor. Place the spring into the round retainer on the inside of the oil-filter cover. Place the oil-filter cover onto the motor and hold it in place while you tighten the acorn nuts with a 10 mm socket.
- 5). Unscrew the oil-filler cap on the right side of the motor and insert a funnel into the filler neck. Slowly add up to 1.5 quarts of fresh SAE 10W40 motor oil. Remove the funnel and wipe away any spills with a clean towel before screwing the oil-filler cap into place.
- 6). Start the motor and let it idle for one minute. Stop the motor and kneel to the right of the motorcycle. Grasp the right handlebar and pull the motorcycle into an upright position. Oil should fill the round oil-level gauge on the right side of the motor. If the oil level is below the "F" mark on the gauge, lower the motorcycle onto its kick stand and add a small amount of oil in through the oil-filler neck and check the oil level again. Repeat as necessary until the oil is level with the "F" mark.